Tenant Eviction Defense Program Director
The Commons Law Center seeks a lawyer with relevant legal and program development experience to direct its new Tenant Eviction Defense program. The Commons seeks to reduce the number of houseless families in Oregon and the disparate impact of evictions on communities of color through its Tenant Eviction Defense program, which will provide free legal services to tenants facing eviction in the Metro area and Southern Oregon.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Program Director’s roles and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop program infrastructure needed to scale service delivery, including document
automation, memo templates, discovery guides, and new lawyer training materials;
- Establish and maintain relationships with other legal service providers, community-
based organization, and funders who can connect legal services to tenants in need;
- Train, supervise, manage, and provide quality control for new lawyer fellows;
- Teach new lawyer fellows to be excellent and competent service providers, respected by
clients, opposing parties, courts, partners, and the communities they serve;
- Oversee creation and delivery of culturally-specific education and outreach;
- Manage and report on program data and progress to partners and funders;
- Support advancement of a universal “right to counsel” in Oregon for eviction defense;
- Manage a small caseload across the tri-county area; and
- Leverage the organization’s tech stack to optimize workflow and communications.
Requirements include an Oregon State Bar license in good standing and 10+ years experience. Preferences are for cultural competence and a demonstrated ability to build and grow teams.
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary & Benefits: $65-80K depending on experience, healthcare for full-time staff, generous vacation time and paid holidays, and a flexible work schedule. Position may be available part-time.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, and three references with the subject line “Program Director, Tenant Eviction Defense” in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.