Now Hiring: Family Law Fellow
The Commons Law Center is a fast-growing nonprofit organization that provides direct legal services to low- and moderate-income Oregonians, free community legal education, and practical training for new lawyers and law students.
We seek an energetic associate to join our program, which provides sliding-scale legal services to help close the access-to-justice gap that exists for an estimated 86% of Oregonians today.
Roles & responsibilities include:
- Solve real problems for family law clients successfully and in a trauma-informed way
- Represent low-income family law clients with supervision from our family law program director, who has 40 years’ experience in the field.
- Do extensive, substantive family law work in our largest & fastest-growing department, including legal research and document drafting, from trial memos, witness exams, motions, correspondence, to other pleadings.
- Manage all communication with clients, opposing parties and attorneys, and witnesses, including intake consultations, phone conferences, trials, and correspondence.
- Use cloud-based workflow management system to manage yourself and your projects in coordination with the rest of the office.
- Use quality controls to ensure excellence across programs, including extensive policies and procedures, templates, checklists, and other internal systems and resources.
- Support community legal education program development, including outreach, curriculum development, networking, volunteer recruitment, and general promotions and organizational ambassadorship.
- Oversee and manage law clerks, interns, and volunteers in support of our mission.
- Consistently and reliably spend 30 of your 40 hours a week completing legal work that solves client problems in ways clients themselves find valuable.
Oregon State Bar license in good standing. Comfort working with all kinds of people. Commitment to public interest law and access to justice.
Reports to: Family Law Program Director
Salary & Benefits: Starting at $50,000 / year, plus healthcare and other benefits, with increases possible as funding becomes available.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcript, 2-3 references, and a short writing sample in a single PDF to with the subject line “Attorney Fellow” to email@example.com.